Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bowling

I used to have a nice large wooden bowl, right inside my front door, a nice large wooden bowl. I have no idea where it came from, but I put everything in that bowl: keys, cellphone, lighter, wallet, smokes, change, receipts, mp3 player, camera, whatever the hell else was in there... It was a decorative filing cabinet of sorts. I never lost any minutiae when I had that bowl. It made it through three or four moves before disappearing from me at some point. Now I'm starting to lose things. I never used to lose things, and this has been problematic. I miss the certainty.

The Cynic Diogenes was said to go around in a barrel (as apparel), with his only possession being (aside from the barrel) a wooden bowl that he used to drink from. One day he looked up saw a boy drinking from cupped hands and spoke, “I throw my bowl away when I see a child drinking from his hands at the trough. I've had a perfectly good vessel all this time!”
Also, this one time he was caught masturbating in the town square and when confronted said, "If only I could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly."
I miss my bowl.
I need a new bowl.

Trivia follows, also Diogenes quotes

“A friend is one soul abiding in two bodies”

“I know nothing, except the fact of my ignorance”

Diogenes, when asked from what country he came, replied, "I am a citizen of the world”

“A man once asked Diogenes what was the proper time for supper, and he made answer, "If you are a rich man, whenever you please; and if you are a poor man, whenever you can”

“Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?”

“I do not know whether there are gods, but there ought to be.”

Exhibitionist and philosopher, Diogenes is said to have eaten (and, once, masturbated) in the marketplace, urinated on some people who insulted him, defecated in the theatre, and pointed at people with his middle finger. Sympathizers considered him a devotee of reason and an exemplar of honesty. Detractors have said he was an obnoxious beggar and an offensive grouch.

Despite having apparently nothing but disdain for Plato and his abstract philosophy, Diogenes bears striking resemblance to the character of Socrates. He shared Socrates' belief that he could function as doctor to men's souls and improve them morally, while at the same time holding contempt for their obtuseness. Plato once described Diogenes as "a Socrates gone mad."

There's even a Diogenes syndrome...
amphitheatre

I miss the hell out of that bowl.

No comments: